Typically, email is the first port of call for all non-technical staff members when faced with the task of sending large documents quickly. We’re now in an age where data leaks are common place and authorities are cracking down on insufficient security policies. According to figures published by IDG Research Services, the companies that they surveyed rated email as the third highest area of concern when it came to the security of their data. The fact of the matter is, standard email is just not capable of meeting modern day security requirements. Not only this, there are other associated problems to consider when using email for large file transfer such as email attachment management, size limitations, unpredictable deliverability of files, bandwidth utilisation and storage problems.
So businesses are reacting to these issues by implementing sophisticated technologies that address these concerns – which is great – but unfortunately, this is a 1-dimensional solution to a 2-dimensional problem. Providing the facilities to send files securely is one thing, guaranteeing that all file transfers within the business are completed using these facilities is another matter altogether.
The question is, how do you stop staff members bypassing new technologies in favour of good old trusty, familiar solutions such as email? The answer is – enable them to continue to use it. Alongside web browser upload options provided, email attachment management solutions offer plugins that can be integrated with existing email clients, to enable ground level users to attach files and send them securely via email. The difference is that rather than filtering through email servers, large email attachments are handed off to the email attachment management solution where they are encrypted, stored and a notification email sent onto the recipient containing a secure download link to the file.
- Your confidential information remain secure.
- You avoid the fines and penalties being enforced by authorities such as the ICO, for failing to meet security compliance legislation.
- The reputational risk associated with loss of customer data is negated.
- Email servers and storage systems are not overwhelmed by a mass of large data files.
- File transfers come with a full audit trail.
- You can be notified when a recipient downloads a file, providing accountability and more reliable file transfers.
- Large file transfer is quick, secure and user friendly for staff, allowing them to concentrate on being productive.
Take a look at this short video to find out more about what an email attachment management solution can offer you…
If you’d like to find out more about email attachment management, Biscom Delivery Server or any of the other secure, ad hoc file transfer solutions we provide, please don’t hesitate to contact us on 0333 123 1240.